Forum Replies Created
here’s photos of the wifi module from 117 after my hack job. It does work though! the b and c photos are tilted up a bit to make the soldering easier to see
Thanks for moving the units to this account. I’ve just updated the locations, and the ‘randomise location’ option is working well. If you want to see air pollution in Sydney from the early season bush fires it’s visible.
Weirdly the images show for me even trying multiple different browsers. When I tried to upload them to the forum I ran into size issues. I’ll put them on my website and link them directly. What I will also do is bring 116 back into the office and take photos of that. Please stand by 🙂
What I should have done was gone downstairs at work and used the proper microscope rather than faffing about at home. Here’s some shots of 116 opened up. Sorry for not thinking of this before I fixed 117 🙁
I would be more comfortable with just a little more solder on each of the pads that attach the module.
Also, Radu, can you please move 090 into this account or 116+117 into my other account?
No, I have very limited surface mount skills but managed to get it done.
I should have gone to Dave, that way we’d get a video. I will open up 116 and have a look at that too, and if it looks suspect will see what Dave says. The workshop downstairs is all set up for this and there’s a proper microscope that I can get hopefully screenshots out of. I just have to bribe the technician 🙂
Sadly my phone is awful at this level of macro, but this is after I re-soldered it. I didn’t really look too closely when it was broken because with the module off it was obvious what the problem was. The capacitor next to it looked like slightly dry joints, just not quite enough heat.
I should have gone round the corner and got Dave@EEVBlog to fix it and make a video. He is the next suburb over.
Hi, I’m Moz, a software geek and cyclist in Sydney, Australia. I bought an A3 and it arrived a week ago, but I work with embedded systems guys who are mostly gadget freaks so it took a bit of effort to bring it home from work. I’m interested in air quality, I live fairly close to a major road and wonder just how bad the air is. Plus I live in a “shedroom” made of coolstore panels (steel skin over 75mm of EPS) glued together. It’s almost airtight, and the cyanoacetate glue is supposed to stop outgassing after a week (shed built two months ago) but after closing the room up all day I can smell it. Now I can measure it too – when you see formaldehyde go up and AQ go down on my graphs, that’s the outgassing 🙂 It’s also an effective faraday cage, two layers of steel in the walls and roof, so the A3 inside has to be ethernet. When I’m at work it gets over 40 degrees Celsius in the shed quite regularly because the room is sealed up… but it also gets over 40 degrees outside 🙂
I’ve done a deal with my boss to split the cost so have also backed the Indegogo campaign and will have a couple more A3’s shortly. My plan is to have a second unit outside the shed, then leave one unit at work. That one will probably move round inside the building while my co-workers argue about air quality and whether they can buy the sensors and build a similar device for less money (I don’t expect that they will actually build one, but they like talking about how easy it would be… and if they do I can test their one too).